cat sleeping in the arms of his owner


Welcome to our blog, where you can find out more about the latest veterinary news!

Search Posts

Search and enjoy our pet news and articles.

Christmas Pet Safety: Why Tinsel Is A Holiday Pet Safety Hazard

It is that time of the year again when we deck the halls with ornaments, lights, and tinsel. While we may be tempted to go all out with our holiday decorating, it is essential to remember that our pets are often curious creatures.

They may be drawn by the flashing lights or catch a glimpse of something shiny and irresistible as they roam around your home. Most of these shiny decorations are small enough that your pet could swallow them, which can pose a severe health risk.


Tinsel is one example of a festive decoration that can be dangerous for your pet if ingested.


What Is Tinsel?

Tinsel is an ornamental sparkle made from thin strips of shiny metal attached to a string. Tinsel is made from a shiny material called polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and the PVC undergoes a treatment to make it nice, shiny, and even more attractive to our pets.


Tinsel is often used to decorate Christmas trees and holiday wreaths but can also be found in other types of decorations.


Why Is Tinsel A Pet Hazard?

Tinsel can be very dangerous to pets if they ingest them. The shiny material is attractive to playful animals, who often start by playing with Christmas decorations and eventually try eating them.

Once in the mouth, tinsel poses a number of dangers. These include:


  • Linear foreign body obstruction: This can occur if the tinsel gets caught in your pet's throat or esophagus, preventing them from being able to pass through the intestines. Tinsel ingestion may cause scratches and scrapes on the soft tissues of the digestive tract as the intestines contract. The bacteria in the intestines can leak into the abdomen, causing life-threatening infections.


  • Intestinal blockage: Tinsel that is swallowed can get tangled up in the stomach and intestines, leading to intestinal blockage.


Symptoms Of Tinsel Ingestion In Dogs

Tinsel ingestion can cause a wide range of symptoms in dogs, from mild to severe. Here are some common signs:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Dehydration
  • Pawing at the mouth


Treatment Measures For Tinsel Ingestion In Dogs

Emergency surgery is usually required if an intestinal blockage has been confirmed through an X-ray. Despite the absence of any signs of blockage, doctors sometimes perform an exploratory procedure to assess the digestive tract to see if anything foreign has become trapped within the intestines.

If you're concerned that your pet might eat the holiday tinsel, it's best to remove it from your home altogether. Make sure that all holiday decorations are placed high enough or far away from your pet so that it can't reach them.

If you suspect that your pet has eaten tinsel, seek veterinary attention immediately. If the obstruction is caught early enough, it may be possible for the vet to remove any pieces of tinsel that are stuck in the digestive tract before they cause any damage.


Southampton Pet Hospital Will Ensure Your Pets Remain Happy And Healthy During The Holidays.

Our caring, calm environment makes vet care less stressful for your furry friend (and you!), and our reputation as a trusted member of the community is just one more reason to choose Southampton Pet Hospital.

Call us at 707-745-1135 if you are concerned about something your pet ingested.


4 Reasons To Try Our New App, Yourgi
Choosing the Best Dental Vet In Benicia

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to

Southampton Pet Hospital logo